Current as at 19/05/2019
1. Overview and purpose
Respirologist respectsyour rights to privacy and takes our privacy obligations seriously. We complywith the Australian Privacy Principles, found under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (PrivacyAct).
When you first register as apatient, our new patient details form requests your consent so that we cancollect, use, hold and share your personal information in order to provide youwith high quality healthcare and to allow us to manage our practice. If we intend to use your personal informationfor any other purpose, we will seek your consent first.
- how we manage your personal information (includingyour health information), including the collection, use, disclosure, qualityand security of your personal information;
- the kinds of information we collect and how thatinformation is held;
- the purposes for which we collect, hold, use anddisclose personal information;
- how you can access your personal information and howyou can request to correct such information; and
- how you can complain about a breach of your privacyand how we will handle your complaint.
Ph: (07)3123 5350
Post: Respirologist,Suite 303, Level 3, 32 Morrow Street, Taringa Q 4068
“Personal information” asdefined in the Privacy Act. This means:
“information or an opinion about an identified individual, or anindividual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is trueor not; and
- whether the information or opinion isrecorded in a material form or not.“
“Health information” asdefined in the Privacy Act. This is a subset of “personalinformation” and means information or an opinion about:
- thehealth or a disability (at any time) of an individual;
- anindividual’s expressed wishes about the future provision of health services tohim or her; or
- ahealth service provided or to be provided to an individual.
Personal information also includes “sensitive information” which isinformation such as your race, religion, political opinions, sexual preferencesand/or “health information”. Information which is “sensitive information”attracts a higher privacy standard under the Privacy Act and is subject toadditional mechanisms for your protection.
“We”, “Us”, “Our”, Respirologistshall mean:
- Respirologist, including our employees and respiratoryand sleep scientists.
- Employed, contracted and independent medical andhealthcare practitioners who practice from our rooms, or whom we engage toassist us in delivering our services to you
2. Collection of personal information
Respirologist collects informationwhich is necessary to provide you with healthcare services and to appropriatelymanage and conduct our business. Thisincludes collecting personal information and such as your name and contactdetails, medical history, family history, past and current treatments,lifestyle factors and any other information which is necessary to assist us inproviding you appropriate care. We will also collect your Medicarenumber and health fund details (where applicable).
You have the right to deal with us anonymouslyor under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless weare required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals. Itis important to be aware that if you provide incomplete or inaccurateinformation or withhold information we may not be able to provide you with healthcareservices.
Respirologist will usually collectyour personal information directly from you, including from patient consentforms, medical records and consultations with you, or from another healthservice provider. Sometimes we need to collect information about you from thirdparties, such as relatives and friends and private health insurers.
We will only collect information from third parties where:
- you have consented to such collection; or
- such collection is necessary to enable us toprovide you with appropriate healthcare services (such as emergency medicaltreatment or where your health is at risk);
- such collection is reasonably necessary to enableus to appropriately manage and conduct our business; or
- it is legally permissible for us to do.
Respirologist has CCTV systems operating at our premises for thepurposes of maintaining safety and security for our patients, visitors, staffand other attendees. A CCTV system isalso in clinical use for the purpose of recording sleep studies. Our CCTVsystem, when activated will collect and store personal information and the useof our CCTV will be in accordance with the Privacy Act. We do not activate theCCTV during patient consultations.
3. How we use your personal information
Respirologist only uses your personalinformation to provide you with healthcare services, to facilitate theprovision of healthcare services by other providers, or to enable us toappropriately manage and conduct our business, unless:
- there is a secondary purpose which directly relatesto the primary purpose, and you would reasonably expect, or Respirologist has informed you, thatyour information will be used for that secondary purpose, or you have givenyour consent for your personal information to be used for a secondary purpose;
- the disclosure of your information is necessary forthe enforcement of criminal law or a law imposing a penalty or sanction, or forthe protection of public revenue;
- the disclosure of your information will prevent orlessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health; or,
- Respirologistisrequired or authorised by law to disclose your information for another purpose.
For example, Respirologist uses your personalinformation:
- to provide healthcare services to you;
- to appropriately manage our practice, such asconducting audits and undertaking accreditation processes, manage billings andtraining staff;
- to effectively communicate with third parties,including private health insurers, Medicare Australia and other governmentdepartments. We undertake and participate in research studies.We will always request your written permission to be involved in such researchbefore we release any personal information to third party researchers.
4. Disclosing your personal information
Respirologist may disclose your personal information to ouremployees, contractors and service providers in order for us to provide healthcareservices to you and to allow us to manage our business. We will also discloseyour personal information to healthcare professionals directly involved in yourtreatment. Where your medical records are required in the case of a medicalemergency, we will provide these to the relevant medical professional withoutwaiting for your consent, where we believe this is in your interests.
Your personal information may also be provided to third parties if we arelegally obliged to do so by a court subpoena, statutory authority, search warrant,coronial summons or to defend a legal action.
We may provide your personal information to thirdparties involved in your care, such as:
- your parents, children, relatives and closefriends, guardians or a person exercising a power of attorney or enduring powerof attorney. Please advise us if it is your wish no third party as stated is tohave access to your personal information;
- government departments and agencies, such asDefence or Department of Veterans Affairs, or departments responsible for health,aged care and disability where we are required to do so;
- private health insurers and Medicare Australia; and
- anyone authorised by you to receive your personalinformation.
We undertake and participate in research studies. We will always requestyour written permission to be involved in such research before we release anypersonal information to third party researchers.
5. Overseas recipients
Respirologist doesnot engage with any overseas entities or persons where your personalinformation will be transferred, stored or disclosed. Should we wish totransfer your personal information overseas, we will ask for your consentbefore we do so.
6. Data storage, quality and security
We strive to maintain the reliability, accuracy,completeness and currency of the personal information we hold and to protectits privacy and security. All personal information is stored in electronic formand is protected from unauthorised access, misuse, interference, loss,modification or disclosure. We do notretain hard copies of your medical or personal information. Someof the steps we take to ensure your personal information is secure include:
- we maintain physical security over our electronicdata and premises;
- our staff are trained on privacy and we havedetailed internal processes and systems to protect your privacy;
- our IT security includes virus controls, firewalls,encryption, user identifiers and passwords to control access to computersystems where your information is stored and other IT security measures;
- we have a clean desk policy and any physicalrecords are destroyed after being converted to electronic form; and
- we use an Australian hosted data centre to storeand back-up our data.
Our website and email are linked to the internet.No data transfer over the internet is 100% secure. Accordingly, any information which youtransmit to us online or via email is transmitted at your own risk.
7. Destroying your personal information
Subject to applicable laws, Respirologist may destroy recordscontaining personal information when the record is no longer required by us.
It is likely your medical records held by uscontain sensitive information. We are required to abide by relevant legislationin the retention and disposal of your medical records.
We are an electronic medical recordspractice. We do not retain any hardcopiesof your medical or personal information. Everything is stored electronically in secure, encrypted medical recordssoftware in an Australian data centre. Once your data is entered onto our medical software, all paper copiesare destroyed.
As you may require your medical record infuture, we will retain your medical record on our system for your future use.
8. Accessing and amending your personal information
We encourage you to contact us ifyou have a query regarding your personal information. You may request anamendment to your personal information if you consider that it containsinaccurate, incorrect or incomplete information.
You have a right to requestaccess to any information we hold about you. If you make a request to accesspersonal information that you are entitled to access, we will provide yousuitable means of accessing it. We will not charge you for making the request.In circumstances where you request we provide a copy of your personalinformation to you, we may charge you a fee to cover our reasonable costs forcomplying with the request for access.
There may be instances where wecannot grant you access to some of the information we hold. For example, we mayneed to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy ofothers. If that is the case, we willprovide you with a written explanation of those reasons.
You can contact us about any privacy issues asfollows:
Ph: (07)3123 5350
Post:Respirologist, Suite 303, Level 3, 32 Morrow Street, Taringa Q 4068
If you have a complaint about howwe have dealt with your personal information or believe we have breached yourprivacy, please contact us on the details below so that we may investigate it.We will deal with your complaint fairly and confidentially. On receipt of your complaint we will contactyou within 10 business days to confirm what investigation action will occur. Wewill then communicate the outcome to you in writing and invite a response toour conclusion about the complaint. If we receive a response from you, we willalso assess it and advise if we have changed our view.
Ph: (07)3123 5350
Post:Respirologist, Suite 303, Level 3, 32 Morrow Street, Taringa Q 4068
If you are unsatisfiedwith our response, you may make refer the complaint to the Office of theAustralian Information Commissioner (http://www.oaic.gov.au/). Furtherinformation on how to make a complaint can be found at https://www.oaic.gov.au/individuals/how-do-i-make-a-privacy-complaint
The current version of our updated PrivacyPolicy is available from: